[Gnumed-devel] Open Source PACS for echo , CT, MRI , gastroscopy and mor

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Open Source PACS for echo , CT, MRI , gastroscopy and more
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 14:14:17 +0200

Hi all,

Working with the guys from Ginkgo-CADx (Dicom viewer/PACS workstation) and
working on GNUmed becoming a nice solution for a cardiologists office (to
scratch my itch) I was searching for an OpenSource PACS to store Dicom data
such as echocardiographic data and/or gastroscopy data.

There seems to be a few solutions and I was recommended to try
dcm4che [1]. This is both recommended by the authors of Ginkgo-CADx as well as
the guys behind Osirix.

Despite the fact that there is (I believe) a large userbase in the neurology
and neurosurgery fields I was not able to find this PACS packaged for either
Debian, Fedora or openSUSE.

I consider this a missing link. Debian-med, Fedora medical and openSUSE
medical should join forces to bring this to GNU/Linux since this will make it
much easier to present GNU/Linux as the *the* platform for medical imaging.

1 http://www.dcm4che.org/confluence/display/proj/The+Project

Best regards,
Sebastian Hilbert