[Gnumed-devel] GNUmed error reporting and other feedback

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed error reporting and other feedback
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 14:38:20 +0200

Hi all,

1.)

Just had a look at the gnumed-bugs mailing list (which I am not subscribed to
currently) and was suprised to see the number of bug being reported.

Many of the bugs are fixed in newer versions. While crashes are good from a
feedback point of view they severly hinder the user experience.

Is it possible to have the new version check popup during login (which is a
fine thing) gain a button or clickable item next to 'ok' which would direct
the user to the Download page in the Wiki ?

That way when a user is told that her version is outdated she has a chance to
find a place where the new version are available.

IMHO many users install whatever comes with their distribution and never find
out about the Wiki.

Despite the fact that there is a line reading

"More info is available in the Wiki" or something like this. I think having
the user click something which would open a browser and direct her to the
right page is a step forward.

2.)

When a user reports a defect he/she might not get it that unless he/she puts
in his/her email address there is no way to contact that person.

It would make sense to enhance the feedback dialog in a way that upon
successful transmission of the report the answer is to be read at gnumed-bug
mailing list. The address to the mailing list archive should be given.

In that condition I would even go as far as to tolerate a popup for that
message.

This popup could at the same time once again remind the user that a newer
version is available and direct the the user there for guidance on how to get
the new version.

Sebastian