[Gnumed-devel] Making easier the workflow for Health Issue creation

From: Jim Busser
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Making easier the workflow for Health Issue creation
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 20:45:36 -0700

When

- beginning to use an EMR on already-known patients, and
- even after having used an EMR for a while, but receiving new patients

It makes sense to be able to create the health issue from inside the Notes
editor.

Example: you see a new patient with diabetes who asks (or needs) help with its
management.

I would prefer to not have to go

        EMR > Add / Edit > Past history (health issue / PMH)

                input (Condition:) Diabetes mellitus
                remember to check-box: Active
                OK

        Notes editor

                Double click Diabetes mellitus
                input progress note
                input "Problem summary"

Despite that the whole EMR menu step does allow to input extra information (for
which I may not immediately have the time or may not in all cases want to
bother with) here is what I am finding that I instead want to do: skip the EMR
menu, and instead go right to

        Notes editor

                skip the double-click step
                use the already-available "New problem" notelet
                on saving
                        "Problem summary" informs the episode name

Only I do not yet have a Health Issue. So far, I do have a problem "Diabetes
mellitus" which --- by default --- will end up under "Unattributed episodes".
This does impose on me having to go to the EMR tree plugin, and right-click
"Promote".

Would there be some way in the Notes plugin notelet tab, when the notelet is a
"New problem", to be able to have a checkbox like

        [  ] Health issue

perhaps to the right of the label "Problem summary" which, on saving, would use
the "Problem summary" text to populate the name of the to-be-created Health
issue under which the new episode could nest?

See screenshot in which I made the proposed control blue, only to make it more
easily seen.

-- Jim

PNG image