Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 09:44:43 +0200

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:33:16AM -0700, Jim Busser wrote:

> > So that's fine, there is a group "djb".
>
> In spite of which the Mac still did not like
>
>       "$USER:$USER"
>
> complaining about an invalid argument, and yet using just
>
>       "$USER"
>
> results in auto assignment of owner and group
>
>       djb     djb

What does "echo $USER" say ?

Perhaps Apple has decreed that in its infinite wisdom $USER
already contains the (primary) group ?  I wouldn't be
surprised.

> or (if via sudo or as root)
>
>       root     admin
>
> By comparison, using chown directly in the command line,
>
>       chown djb:djb foo.tar

But "chown $USER:$USER foo.tar" won't.

> works and so does
>
>       chown root:admin foo.tar
>
> so evidently Mac has some problem processing the python "$USER:$USER"

Despite the nitpick the it's a shell script rather than
Python, the most logical conclusion to me seems that $USER
already contains a group designation.

Such things are, BTW, exactly why it is configurable.

GPG key ID E4071346 @ gpg-keyserver.de