Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)

From: Jim Busser
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Problems dumping database (Mac limitation on su -c)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 20:27:06 -0700

On 2011-05-27, at 12:26 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>>      Initiating a postgres db user step…
>>      < here there may, or may not, come a prompt>
>>
>>      Initiating a GNUmed db owner (e.g. gm-dbo) step…
>>      < here there may, or may not, come a prompt>
>>
>>      Initiating a GNUmed db owner (e.g. gm-dbo) step…
>>      < here there may, or may not, come a prompt>
>>
>> because by the above method, when no prompt is received, the user attends
>> only to the last line.
>
> This would render the script less useful to cron/anacron.

I am not sure I understand. Echos would, to my understanding, not interrupt
cron or anacron …

Consider that, as currently written, the script will already in some situations
echo to stdout for example

        echo "Backing up database ${GM_DATABASE}."
        echo "However, a newer database seems to exist:"
        sudo -u postgres psql -l -p ${GM_PORT} | grep gnumed_v
        echo "Make sure you really want to backup the older database !"

so we are maybe just talking your (more-useful?) versus my proposed
(less-justifiable?) echos?

When you wrote

>       we are getting into the realms of telling doctors to
>       consider pain killers should the patient be in pain.

it maybe betrays a bias for the level of user for whom any echos are being
writen. We are here talking, in the absence of .pgpass, up to four password
prompts, only *one* of which informs what is being asked for. We know these
confuse people who bother to email. If people like me with marginal IT are of
value to the project, we should reduce where easy (and what I suggested was
easy) so that I and others can more easily avoid a dozen + unnecessary efforts
and lost time to figure out where I was going wrong.

If the above was sufficient to cause reconsideration, I can pull out from this
thread (and resupply) your clarifications for these things which – to you –
seem not worth the trouble but which, to me and others like me, are very much
worth those echos.

-- Jim