Re: [Gnumed-devel] publicdb.gnumed.de performance

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] publicdb.gnumed.de performance
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 11:33:01 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 16. Juni 2011, 11:17:46 schrieb Karsten Hilbert:
> On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 07:30:39PM +0200, Slappinjohn wrote:
> > it's not only a problem for using the public db. In my practice I'm
> > running a GNUmed-server at home and connect via openvpn and dyndns. Most
> > of the time I'm waiting for a new patient to show up or changing tabs or
> > unfold the encouter tree. If anything can be done on performance
> > matters, it would be great. All the other network services (CUPS,
> > davical) are working just fine
>
> I have checked into this a bit and found that we don't do
> that many queries during the above. I am currently not sure
> how to proceed on that.

Initials research indicates that performance is connected to network latency
rather then speed.

It is a good sign that there are not too many queries but each one is
affecting performance.

There are two parts to this. The request time and the payload size.

I really recommend transfer all processing to the server and transferring just
the keyboard/mouse input.

Check if using VNC or even better NX/Freenx makes for better performance ?

The alternative really is the web client which was intended for exactly this
scenario. All work is done on the server. Data is displayed in the client.

Sebastian