Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updating dem listings for Brazil

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Updating dem listings for Brazil
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:54:58 +0000

On 2011-11-16, at 2:43 PM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> no need to JOIN, simply pass whatever you want to translate:
>
>   select _('string to translate', 'target language')
>
> this is an SQL function provided by GNUmed

I can understand how this works *forward* provided you have a 'starting' (base)
value

        select _('parent', 'de_DE') ;          --->       Elternteil

where the above depends on the _DE without which you get no translation, just
your original value back, which is maybe what you were warning.

Moreover I can't see that the above lends itself to be run backwards to provide
the desired base value 'foo' which translates to Corumbá

        select _('foo', 'pt_') ;          --->       Corumbá

??

-- Jim