Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUMed SOAP vs SOAPless progress notes

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUMed SOAP vs SOAPless progress notes
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 00:41:26 +0000

On 2011-11-16, at 1:36 AM, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> Rogerio, exactly. Except that I would advise to use the NULL soap
> category (administrative) - or even a configurable one and that I agree
> that people may desire to - visually - have a widget that does not
> bother them with the freedom to also use other SOAP categories.
>
> I am not likely to write that widget any time soon but I would
> certainly accept code which implements that.

While making no expectation that it be you who does the coding, does the
following make sense?

Suppose that one or more users would desire a plug-in exactly like the existing
Notes plug-in (gmSoapPlugin) *except* that in place of

        Subjective
        [free text field]

        Objective
        [free text field]

        Assessment
        [free text field]

        Plan
        [free text field]

they desire

        Narrative (soap_cat = NULL)
        [free text field]

1) does it make sense to develop and separately maintain a whole plugin, when
every thing else within it would be the same *except* for the above? surely
that would risk failure of updating, where changes to the original would have
to be replicated in the alternative version

2) in trying to 'follow' the code in gmSoapPlugin, I have traced it to

        gmSOAPWidgets.py

but there I am stuck. Does it make sense that the Notes plugin 'calls' a
wxGlade file and that a combination of a GNUmed configuration setting together
with a 'variant' wxGlade file would provide sane functionality? I was thinking
this could be a similar approach to the situation of address inputs, where in
some countries the normal sequence of data entry and presentation is

        Postal
        Street, Number, Unit
        City, State, [Country]

and in others