Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication bug

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Medication bug
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:03:19 +0200

On Thursday, May 24, 2012 09:30:59 PM address@hidden wrote:
> I think this is possibly already described.
> On windows, I added a substance mebeverine sr 150 mg , added brand
> ***ease and used it for one patient.

Works for me.

> I realised that mebeverine sr
> comes as 200 mg. and tried to correct it without success.

In the status line it will tell you that you cannot change it since it is 'in
use'.

> Tried to
> delete it without success.

Same as above.

> Added a new substance entry of mebeverine
> sr 200 mg

works for me

> and added ***ease with 200 mg as substance.

Ok. When you create a new drug with the same name but changed substance it
will silently ignore to assign the new substance to the new drug (which has
the same name as the old drug and technically is not a new drug but an altered
drug, which does not work)

> Now when i
> attempt to add morease sr 200 mg, only the entry of 150 mg is
> displayed and 200 mg is not accepted.

Morease with 200mg is not even created in my case (and it should not)

> That simply means that a brand
> name with a single substance with two different dosages can not be
> accepted by gnumed.

At least in Germany there are no two drugs with different dosages sharing an
identical brand name.

So Morease and Morease cannot exist at the same time containing either 150mg
or 200mg. The solution here in Germany is to labe the brand name Morease 200
(containing 200mg) and Morease 150 (for 150mg).

Once can argue that changing sunstances even in already prescribed brands (or
'in use' could be allowed in some cases. If it is truly an error then all
records in GNUmed (as in 'in use') would need to be updated. Which would need
to ask for gm-dbo's password.

What about the corner case when the drug company decided to alter the
substance dosage but keep the brand name. I guess they can do stupid things
like that.

In that case I would always append the dosage to the label.

e.g. Beloc zok 95 or Beloc zok mite as for 95mg or 47,5 mg or metoprolol.

> This is purely a safety issue and should be dealt
> with on urgent basis

It is dealt with but maybe not in an obvious way. As a workaround create a new
brand with a different name.

If what I describe above is not what you are seeing let us know.

Sebastian