[Gnumed-devel] Encounter update / creation and moving between patients

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Encounter update / creation and moving between patients
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:30:12 +0000

GNUmed 1.3.4

I set focus on an existing patient and, with the patient in focus, created and
attached a document.  That was my last activity for the day yesterday, and I
left the GNUmed client running.

Today, I started creating a new patient. I inputted all required information
into the new patient creation widget, and was presented with a prompt to update
the encounter information.

After I updated and saved the encounter information (type, purpose), I realized
that what I had done was to alter the information for the encounter that
related to *yesterday's* patient, not the new patient whose encounter details I
was thinking that I was editing.

Is it agreed that on this question of the patient who is already in focus, and
whom we are about to *leave*, it is better to prompt to complete the
in-focus-encounter before the user's brain starts engaging any data relating to
the new patient?

My suggestion is that when the user invokes any of

        Patient menu > Search

        Patient > Register person

        Patient > Load external

        perhaps clicking in the combined patient name / search box

the encounter updating window on the patient that is about the be *departed*
before any new GUI elements that may pertain to the "next" patient  (even the
name search) are presented to the user?

Maybe also the labelling of the edit encounter box can also be improved.. but I
have to wait til I am next presented it before I can make any suggestion ...

-- Jim