Re: [Gnumed-devel] Back to Debian

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Back to Debian
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 10:38:12 +0000

On 2013-07-18, at 3:22 AM, Jim Busser <address@hidden> wrote:

> so, if I do not care to have a mixed "stable / testing" distribution, and if
> I want to use GNUmed and other packages from testing …

Now after reading here

        http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=103878#p496324

        The use of testing or unstable is a lot of fun but comes with some
risks.
        Even though the unstable suite of Debian system looks very stable for
        most of the times, there have been some package problems on the
        testing and unstable suite of Debian system and a few of them were
        not so trivial to resolve. It may be quite painful for you. Sometimes,
you
        may have a broken package or missing functionality for a few weeks.

I am thinking it may be better to leave it all stable, and do the pinning

        https://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/
        http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

after which I can do per the GNUmed wiki

        apt-get -t testing install gnumed-client

because I assume the git-based version of GNUmed is run outside of the
packaging system.

Am I making sense, or do I misunderstand?

-- Jim