Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed in a webbrowser

From: Wolfgang Keller
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] GNUmed in a webbrowser
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 17:37:29 +0200

> > For Linux we could build portable versions.
>
> We already do: they are called VMs.

Beep.

VMs are *not* portable. They don't run without special software
installed on the host system. And an ordinary user without "special"
privileges can't install that software.

"Portable" software means that it can be used without installation (of
any dependencies) by any user, without any special privileges.

BTW: This is the main reason why I still don't consider Linux as
really "user-friendly". As long as there is a requirement for "package
management" of any kind, as long as Linux applications aren't packaged
as entirely self-contained application packages, Linux seriously lags
behind what has been achieved in 1984 (almost 30 - in words: thirty! -
years ago) by the MacOS or Atari's ST or Acorn's RiscOS a bit later.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang