Re: [Gnumed-devel] Upgrade from gnumed v1.3.7 to 1.4.

From: Sebastian Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Upgrade from gnumed v1.3.7 to 1.4.
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:53:45 +0100

Ah. You are one of the early users when the server package still shipped with
PG 8.4. Oh well. Everything is upgradable.

Let me try it here before I give instructions. By the way. if you still have a
valid Windows XP license why not test everything in a virtual machine.

If you have access to a licensed copy of Windows XP I recommend to download
vmware player and setup a Windows as a virtual machine.

Anyway I will test how to do the upgrade on Windows. For Debian Linux it would
have been so easy.

See

http://gnumed.blogspot.de/2013/11/gnumed-140-postgresql-upgrade-to-91.html

Please answer the following questions.

When you installed gnumed-server.exe - did it detect that postgresql is 8.4
and needs an update ? If not I need to build this into the installer.

But even if you try to install the postgres 9.2 that comes with the installer
I guess it would give problems on Windows

So the only way I believe (until I have tested this) is to backup , remove PG
8.4 completely ( I have batch files for that) , install PG 9.x (via the gnumed-
server package - frozenfull.exe) and restore the database.

I will be back with more information.

Please note you can still use the 1.3.x GNUmed in a 9.x Postgres.

Sebastian