Re: [Gnumed-devel] new placeholder(s)

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] new placeholder(s)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 20:52:05 +0100

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 01:37:02PM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:

> >> Does 'allow for selection" mean "prompts" or how is the selection to be
> >> achieved and communicated to the engine?
> >
> > Have you tried ?
>
> The question was an invitation to offer more than "yes/
> no", because a little more direction than "try" can help to
> avoid one's blind experimentation in putting together a
> document template.

I was thinking you were asking about another new placeholder
(namely receiver_*) of which conception I was foolishly fond
or shall I say proud.

> … I assume that any set of one or more gen_adr_…
> placeholders will prompt for only a single instance of "which
> address to use"

That's right. They needn't even be adjacent. And they can
occur multiple times in order to refer to parts of the same
address multiple times.

> however in the case where one would wish to
> send communication
>
>       To: Clinician A
>       Cc:     Clinician B, Clinician C
>
> can one do this by way of 3 instances of the placeholder,

Not at the moment. That's currently a limitation which I will
get rid of. The definition is now:

        u"""part of a generic address, cached, selected from database:
                args: optional template//optional selection message//optional
cache ID
                template: %s-style formatting template
                message: text message shown in address selection list
                cache ID: used to differentiate separate cached invocations of
this placeholder
        """,

IOW, if you want to "start" a new "instance" of the
placeholder just use a new cache ID. Note, however, that once
you start using any cache ID you'll have to use that ID for
_all_ parts of the same instance:

instance 1, first occurrence, this will show selection and cache:

        <$gen_adr_street::the street=%s//Please select an address !//inst1$>

instance 1, 2nd occurrence, will just use the cached part:

        <$gen_adr_location::location=%s////inst1$>

(note that you don't have to - but can - repeat the message)

instance 2, cached seperately, again selected from list:

        <$gen_adr_country::country=%s//Please select an address !//inst2$>