Re: [Gnumed-devel] Testing placeholders including free_text and tex_esca

From: Busser, Jim
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Testing placeholders including free_text and tex_escape
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 20:18:10 +0000

On 2015-02-02, at 10:40 AM, Karsten Hilbert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 05:37:04AM +0000, Jim Busser wrote:
>
>> I was interested to test various placeholders and so, with Kirk selected in
>> order that Correspondence > Write letter would be available,
>>
>> - imported the following snippet, pretending that it was adequately complete
>> for LaTex, and
>>
>> - tried running it:
>>
>>      % ================================================================
>>      % Prompt for an inside address and salutation:
>>      $<free_text::Inside address and salutation::9999>$
>
> This is most definitely not sufficient for a successful LaTeX run.
>
>       http://www.minimalbeispiel.de/

Unless my self-assessment has deteriorated, I have mostly attempted my own
diagnosis of problems before asking solutions.

In this case, my reference was this GNUmed wiki page

        http://wiki.gnumed.de/bin/view/Gnumed/GmManualLettersForms#Placeholders

where I had written

        Placeholders come in the format

$<placeholder-name::usually-optional-arguments::usually-optional-maximum-length>$

which accords with source code inline comments (lines 76-81) in
        gnumed/gnumed/client/wxpython/gmMacro.py

as follows:

        • # the following must satisfy the pattern "$<name::args::(optional)
max string length>$" when used
        • __known_variant_placeholders = {
        •     # generic:
        •     u'free_text': u"""show a dialog for entering some free text:
        •         args: <message> shown in input dialog, must not contain '//'
or '::',
        •         will cache input per <message>""",

So I had trouble to see what from GNUmed's point of view was missing.

-- Jim