gnump3d-devel

[Gnump3d-devel] Future development?

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: [Gnump3d-devel] Future development?
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:40:19 +0100

  This is just a warning that I don't have any plans to update
 the server much more in the future, and a chance for people
 to immediately demand new features ;)

  I think the code is working pretty much as well as it can,
 without adding anything new or switching to a database
 backend[1] or anything drastic like that.

  There are a couple of internal changes I have had in mind for
 a while, but honestly I'm not sure whether it is worth cleaning
 up at this point.

  For example some cleanup I've anticipated includes:

   *  Using HTML::Template, Text::Template instead of the
     homegrown templating code.

   *  Using HTML::Breadcrumbs for the "banner" generation.

   *  Having a "real" plugin framework.

   *  Opening up the indexing to a more extensible framework.
     (To be determined; rather than having explicit knowlege of
     the file formats we accept).

  What we have at the moment may not be the cleanest/prettiest
 but it has worked successfully to date so changing might just
 be a waste of effort.

  As always I'd appreciate any feedback any users have to offer.

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/

[1] - Proof of concept database-backed server:
        http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/mysql-mp3/