Re: [Gnump3d-users] Errors building cache, startup time, etc

From: Steve Kemp
Subject: Re: [Gnump3d-users] Errors building cache, startup time, etc
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 14:32:35 +0000

On Sun, Nov 21, 2004 at 10:52:56PM -0500, Chris Arrowood wrote:

> First, thanks again Steve, for the great software.  I love it!

  :)

> 1) In the error log, it would be nice to have a time stamp on entries. I
> had a 7.7m error log and no clue if the errors were recent or years
> old.  Can it use the system logger?  ...or could it be modified to
> insert datetime for each error msg?

  Doesn't seem to be possible to wrap the 'print ..' statements to
 add a timestamp.  It will mean that I will have to use a special
 logging class to add the timestamps.  Whilst it would be nice
 it's not a priority.

> 2) I only reboot every few months. When I reboot, GNUMP3d (which starts
> via an init script) takes several minutes to update the database, making
> my reboot time several minutes.  I don't know if it automatically
> rebuilds the cache every so often based on age, or if there is some
> other reason, but is there anyway to get it to do this in the
> background, on another thread maybe, instead of holding up the start
> time?   ...or, is there something I can do to my init script to get it
> to start but not hold up everything?

  You can add '--fast' to the init script to skip the rebuild, this is
 done in the Debian init.d file if the cache exists IIRC.

> 3)  When it builds the cache, I get many annoying error messages (see
> below).
>
> fwatl01 gnump3d # /etc/init.d/gnump3d restart
> * Stopping
> gnump3d...
> [ ok ]
> * Starting gnump3d...
> * Updating index of music files (may take a while for the first time)...
> Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//) at
> /usr/bin/gnump3d-index line 727, <CACHE> line1160.

  Noisy, but harmless, errors.  They can be ignored.

  If you want to avoid all logging simply set

error_log = /dev/null

  And all this would go away.

Steve
---
Edinburgh System Administrator : Linux, UNIX, Windows
Looking for an interesting job : http://www.steve.org.uk/