Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Man pages and other changes

From: Blake Matheny
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Re: Man pages and other changes
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:30:59 -0500

Comments below.

> Definitely. I've edited them a bit, mostly:
>
> * It is GNUnet, not gnunet or Gnunet. (except of course in
>   application names like gnunetd)
> * do not use 'the GNUnet network', that's saying network twice :-)
You don't say NIC Card? :)

> I looked over all of them & did some changes. This will of course make RMS
> unhappy because GNU prefers info-pages (and even suggest rejecting man-pages
> if nobody volunteers to maintain them). Anyway, I personally prefer man over
> info. Of course, I would not reject texi-files either :-).
Converting man pages to info pages is trivial, but not necessarily
portable. Many systems (solaris, hp-ux, irix, etc) don't have
info, but of course we could just distribute both.

> I think we should try to design an *interface* to which we can plug different
> libraries for keyword and mime-type extraction. This way, somebody can code a
> backend that talks to GnomeVFS, another that talks to 'file'/magic, another
> that just uses mp3-id-tags, etc.

> The library can return NULL (don't know) or a pointer to a string describing
> the MIME-Type.

OK, I'll get plugging on this unless someone has already started
doing work. I think doing automatic keyword extraction is
important, and like James said earlier, people are lazy so this
is something most will want.

Any status on the win32 port? Just curious what has become of it,
or if anyone had even started it. Thanks!

-Blake

--
Blake Matheny
address@hidden