Re: [GNUnet-developers] Network load of Gnunet

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Network load of Gnunet
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:26:03 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> I am a bit surprised by the network use as well, some extracts from my
> stats.
> p2p queries/Uptime = 1.48 Queries per second.
> I have 26 hosts in data/hosts, which means each host on avarage is
> hosts is making a query every 17.6 seconds.
> There were 530MB trasfered which is 2.3kB/s, of this only 60MB is p2p
> CHK
> content, 48MB is noise
> I only did a couple of searches (although client queries says 35), and i
> have content migration tuned on.
> Seems like there is lots of none-node talk.

The party line is that if the node hasn't satiated its
connections (the limit specified in gnunet.conf), it will
aggressively try to establish new connections. The
connection table is impossible to fill if the limit
is 64 (as default) and yet there's only 10 or so nodes
online concurrently. And if there's no other traffic,
the node will still forward HELOs frequently, perhaps
it'll change session keys too (not sure), but always
the difference between the content size and MTU will be
padded with noise, or if enough space is left, with
low-priority data.

There might be much tuning to do, but still the overhead
should be minor compared to traffic it can take/generate
when operating in a busy network at full blast. ;)

Igor