Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions

From: carlo von lynX
Subject: Re: [GNUnet-developers] Hello! (brief introduction and lots of questions)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2019 21:04:13 +0200

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 03:23:48PM +0000, Olie Ayre wrote:
> Thanks for taking time to answer my questions! "Late" or otherwise, they're
> still helpful :)

GReat!

> The "pub-sub" approach makes a lot of sense. I think you explaining that sort
> of helped it
> click. So if I'm understanding correctly, the sort of core mechanism that
> would power it all
> would be a given ego being able to publish some event, say a status update.
> That ego would
> also be able to subscribe to other egos, and when the event is published, it
> propagates
> through the network, and any ego that is subscribed can receive it and
> interpret it. That same
> principle would then also be used at a peer level to sync egos between
> multiple devices (as in

You got it all correct.  :)

> my 3rd question). Based on your answer to my 2nd question, it also seems that
> you might have
> multiple "pub-subs" per ego, and that would be how isolating different groups
> for
> communication would work? E.g. would I for instance have one pub-sub for me
> and my friends,
> then another for "shouting into the void" as it were, and then more
> individual ones for each
> individual I communicate with privately or in very small groups?

Yes, and you may have high volume pubsubs containing your music mixtapes that
only
some of your friends are interesting in... although the features of gnunet-fs
may at that point make it more efficient to just distribute a GNFS "link".

But sometimes it is critical for your peers not to be able to correlate your
activities in two different social subgroups, that's when pubsubs are not enough
and you need separate egos. I think t3sserakt's video discusses this.