Re: Doxygen Cleanup: NAT nomenclature

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: Doxygen Cleanup: NAT nomenclature
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:04:50 +0200

On 9/13/22 00:02, Willow Liquorice wrote:
Hello,

I've completed a first pass through the Doxygen comments and cleaned up a lot of it. Those tasks aren't done (yet, I'll bring it up on Mantis), but I've resumed organising the Doxygen groups. I'm a little confused about the group with the internal name "nat", long name "NAT testing library" or "NAT library".

The headers that define it are "gnunet_nat_service.h" and "gnunet_nat_auto_service.h", which seems to contradict the two group names. Is NAT a service or a library?

We have both, a NAT service, and a NAT library. With the ongoing transport (TNG) rewrite, we may want to eventually revise some of this.

I'm not sure which of the two long names is more fitting, as the call graphs and description don't imply that it is simply for testing. Which long name is more appropriate?

Right, the 'auto' part is also for 'automatic' configuration, so the 'testing' part is about testing (in the sense of probing!) the host/network, not about software testing. I suggest we can just use "NAT", or maybe better: "NAT Traversal", as that's what it is ultimately really about.

My 2 cents