Re: Using GNUstep with MINGW

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Using GNUstep with MINGW
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:25:35 +0000

On Tuesday, December 5, 2000, at 09:21 AM, Helge Hess wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've encountered that problem with libFoundation as well. I'm pretty
> sure that a Win32 runloop core needs to be rewritten completly, based on
> multithreading where a thread waits on one specific event source.
> This can be useful for Unix as well, eg if you want to support SHM for
> DO communications (not everything is select'able in Unix as well).
>
> BTW: What exactly do you want to wait for ?

I'm interested too.

If you are contemplating a threaded implementation of NSRunLoop ... which
shouldn't
actually be *too* hard ... I'd suggest using native threads directly rather
than NSThread.
In principle this could be done such that the threads actually waiting for
events never
touch the GNUstep data structures, and the GNUstep thread waits on a lock.
This would
mean that the GNUstep app would never need to become multi-threaded as far as
NSThread is
concerned - and could avoid the need to use locks anywhere else.  This would
avoid the
considerable locking overheads involved when an OpenStep app becomes
multithreaded.

Any code donations gratefully accepted of course :-)