Re: Gorm pre-pre-alpha deb

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: Re: Gorm pre-pre-alpha deb
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 22:57:48 +0100

Frederico.S.Muñoz wrote:

> > > (...)
> > > Do you think that a -cvs branch of the packages would be useful?
> >
> > I certainly do.
> >

> Ok, in that case should the gnustep-dev package conflict with gnustep or
> should they be allowed to be present
> at the same time? The standard location in Debian for GNUstep is
> /usr/lib/GNUstep... maybe the GNUstep-dev
> packages could be made to install in /opt/GNUstep, or even
> /usr/lib/GNUstep-dev ....
>
> BTW, Pantomime and GNUMail are packaged, an ITP was launched on GWorkspace
> and Project Center is next in line,
> all this after building the new gnustep-cvs debs that will really be the
> basis of my work.
>
> cheers,
>
> fsm

This has always been my concern with Debian, they do things their way,
without doing it the way it is intended to be. BTW this is not meant to start
a distro e-mail war, just my humble opinion. They are missing the Unix
idea...

I would certainly not go for /opt. If I was free to choose I would say, use
/usr/GNUstep for the stable install and /usr/GNUstep-<cvs-snapshot-date> for
the development version. This way you clutter the system a bit, but one is
able to play with different version at the same time.

Just my 2 cents.

Dennis