Re: Base library documentation

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Base library documentation
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2002 17:12:58 +0000

On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 02:42 PM, Philippe C.D. Robert wrote:

On Fri, 1 Feb 2002 17:50:05 +0100 (CET)
Manuel Guesdon <address@hidden> wrote:
| Unfortunately, we ran out of funding for our technical author, so what's
| there is incomplete ...

May be we use (part of) the donation for this...

Not quite the same, but ...

Since we can now produce documentation with autogsdoc, can't we just integrate automatic documentation generation upon doing 'make' (HTML or rtf)? I know that this wouldn't generate 'real documentation' but only skeletons, but once this support is there, it would IMHO be a lot easier to fill in the content step by step - and it would be possible to use the docu ie. from within ProjectCenter. This is sth many have looked for since a long time ( at least those who gave me feedback on ProjectCenter ).

How much time would be required to complete this?

It's already there ... though there is certainly room for improvement.
The current autogsdoc code really only documents classes/methods properly. I need to get round to completing functions, variables, types and macros, though
most of the parsing code for those is written - and currently generates a
load of confusing debug output :-)

To see it in action, the 'make doc=yes' in the base library directory.

To see examples of the makefile stuff look at the base/Source and base/Tools
makefiles.

To see examples of how documents can be commented to generate full documentation using autogsdoc, look at the GSXML class source or the NSUserDefaults source.
Of course, autogdsoc itsself is documented using autogsdoc.