Re: nsdrawer implementation

From: ibotty
Subject: Re: nsdrawer implementation
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 13:30:30 +0100

adam wrote:
> I don't particularly like drawers (I've used them on MacOSX and they are
> pretty annoying).
i dont like them either... but if they were supposed to vanish, when the app
is send to the background, i may like them more. (btw:  on my checkout, it
does only this.)
they may be nice, to implement toolbars (well, yet another thing to
debate...).

> It would be cool if we could take the same concept but
> implement it in a way that worked better (If that's possible). If you
> have more ideas, keep sending them and I'll try to make some useful
> comments.
i already have a semi-working version, that implements drawers as floating
panels (based on a user-default, or openOnEdge: parameter).
!!!!! introducing api incompliance (minor, openOnEdge: will take a different
parameter...) !!!!!

> P.S. One way to get the drawer to move with the window is to have it
> register for a NSWindowDidMove notification, although that will only
> happen after then user releases the mouse button on the new location...
i thought so too, unfortunatly, it will open/closed way too many times...
seems, as if NSWindowDidMove gets called to many times...
i will look more deeply at it, when i find time (i have to get a new mainboard
first ;).

btw:
 i implemented a special border for the drawer, that also allows the user to
close the drawer (otherwise not possible without resizing (which is not
implemented)).
i will post a new checkout, when floating panel behavior works.

cheers,
~ibotty