Re: UserDefaults for -back

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: UserDefaults for -back
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:05:03 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:49:57 -0600
Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
> Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> > I'm trying to figure out the difference between GSAppOwnsMiniwindow
> > and UseWindowMakerIcons.
> > From looking at their description in DefaultsSummary.html, it seems
> > like they essentially do the same - that is, let the window manager
> > have it's way.
> With GSAppOwnsMiniwindow, GNUstep doesn't create a miniwindow
> counterpart to an NSWindow (nothing to do with an appicon window).
> Probably what you thinking of is a GSAppOwnsAppIcon to create or not
> create the app icon.

Yes, IMHO that is what the description for GSAppOwnsAppIcon implies:

  [quote]
  A boolean value which defaults to YES. Some window managers control
  the miniaturized versions of windows themselves. Set this default to
  NO to let the window manager have it's way, otherwise, GNUstep will
  create a miniwindow.
  [endquote]

It looks weird if you run a window manager that doesn't support any
icons but GNUstep creates them anyway, especially since they all pop up
at the lower left corner, stacked on top of each other...

But, that doesn't explain the difference between GSAppOwnsAppIcon and
UseWindowMakerIcons.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:50:38 -0600
Adam Fedor <address@hidden> wrote:
> P.S. That's just an example, nothing like that is actually
> implemented.

I noticed ;-)

I think it would be nice if you could tell GNUstep to not create any
appicons at all. The reason is, that you may want to run a WM that
doesn't support icons (see above) or that you run a WM that has its own
peculiar way, completely different from WMaker.

Eg: a WM that handles appicons in several different ways, depending on
it's configuration. For example, in default mode, it acts just like
WMaker, displaying icons in a row at the bottom (left, right, top,
unsorted, anywhere, ...) or, instead automatically adds icons to a
Dock/Fiend or put them in a Panel, ...

--
Chris