Re: Window handling in -back

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Window handling in -back
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 11:59:07 -0600

On Monday, June 16, 2003, at 12:01 PM, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

The other two files, 'olwm' and 'mwm' contain three xwininfo(1) entries, the first was taken from Ink -> New Document, the second is Terminal and
the third is a plain xterm.
What I did was to use each window manager's maximize window option.

As you can see, the two GNUstep applications are WAAAAY off, resulting
in LOTS of XShm memory errors bringing the whole machine to a crawl...

I tried the same with several other WMs, including BlackBox and
AfterStep, and neither of these show the same behaviour.

As I said, probably no one is still using mwm and/or ol(v)wm, but I
thought I'd pass this on anyway...

GNUstep sets the maximum size of a a window by default to 10000 (It's in the OpenStep documentation that way). This is passed on as a hint to the window manager. Probably most window managers ignore the hint if it's larger than a certain size...