Re: Proper way of connecting to apps

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Proper way of connecting to apps
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:37:31 +0100

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 01:34  am, Stefan Urbanek wrote:

Hi,

Is there some official way of connecting to application objects?

NSConnection.

I know that i can use NSConnection, however that is not 'the right and clean way'.

Of course it is ... that's just what NSConnection is for.

I want something like this: [workspace connectApplication:'ApplicationName'] that will return distant proxy for application representative object (it should be application itself or something that forwarsd to the app). If the app is not running it should be launched. Wait for it to be launched and then retry connecting.

To connect to an app ...
[NSConnection -rootProxyForConnectionWithRegisteredName:host:]
To launch an app if it is not already running ...
[NSWorkspace -launchApplication:]

Moreover, in the future we can add mechanism/interface for using another object than app itself if authors of the app care about security. But it is not necessary at the moment.

That's already there ... the private GSListener class is used to handle standard application methods, pasteboard/service requests, and forwarding of other methods to the application delegate. It would need to be extended a little to provide real security (eg with a method to register the names of methods which are allowed to be forwarded).

I think this method can be very useful gnustep extension to support application services and better cooperation of applications. ( http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Application%20Services )

It's not an extension ... it's standard.