Re: Proper way of connecting to apps

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: Proper way of connecting to apps
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:40:13 +0200

[snip]
> Also, I think that most inter-application communications can (and
> probably should) be done using services rather than direct messaging,
> so that services provided by applications are advertised to other
> applications in a uniform manner ... direct messaging is a pretty
> special case for closely cooperating apps which can't use the standard
> services mechanism for some reason.

Services are for simple user-level actions performed on pasteboard data.
They are very useful in many cases, but they are not a substitute for
generic inter-app DO. I was afraid that having "services" in the name
"application services" would cause confusion; I still suggest using a
name that doesn't include "services" for this.

- Alexander Malmberg