[RFC/gdl2] Postgres Adaptor

From: David Ayers
Subject: [RFC/gdl2] Postgres Adaptor
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:12:47 +0200

Hello,

I've been testing with PostgreSQL 7.2.3 lately. But our "Postegres95Adaptor" currently relies on features introduced with 7.3, like the CASCADE in the DROP TABLE statement in the schema generation and the structure of the pg_tabels system table. I've locally added a version ivar to Postegres95AdaptorChannel, and runs a SELECT VERSION() upon openChannel, parses the output to retrieve the version so that the channel cen support server version specific implementations.

Yet in other places like Postgres95SQLExpression +dropTableStatementForEntityGroup: it seems kind of over kill to try to connect to the database with the modelGroup's model's connectionDictionary, just to find out whether we need the CASCADE or whether we have to omit it, but it seems necessary.

I was flirting with the idea of only supporting the 7.3 version, but as many GNU/Linus distros are still shipping with 7.2 this seems like a bad idea.

I'd like to know what other people think. Should we start adding runtime checks on the Server version? (We can't rely on configury as the Client API is independent of these server features, but we might have to take that into account also)

If so which Versions should we "officially" support?

Cheers,