Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] Commit Update
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:38:03 +0100 (BST)

> > > + * configure.ac: Detect native exception handler support in the
> > > + compiler, and set HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS to yes if it's there.
> > > + * configure: Regenerated.
> > > + * config.make.in: New variable HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS.
> > > + * common.make: If HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS is set, add
> > > + -fobjc-exceptions to the ObjC flags.
> > > +
> >
> > Hello Nicola,
> >
> > I'm not sure we want to do this in this way.  Mixing -fobjc-exceptions
> > code with old style exception code will most likely cause serious
> > problems.  (AFAICT, unlike Apple, we actually use GCC's native exception
> > handling features already where as Apple still does setjmp/longjmp for
> > the new constructs for backward compatibility.)  An update in gcc
> > shouldn't require you to recompile everything.  I think we should only
> > activate the feature if explicitly requested by the user as a
> > ./configure option.
> >
> > Or did I miss something?
>
> [...]
>
> But, this change was only the first step in the plan ...
>
> The next bit will be to actually update gnustep-base so that when
> HAS_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS is set, NS_DURING will be a wrapper around @try, and
> similar stuff, so that all exceptions will be native,

Thinking about it, if Adam is preparing a new major release and we are
sort of in prerelease status, it's probably not the right moment to put
such a major change in. :-)

So maybe we should keep the option in a ./configure flag so we can develop
and play with it, but it will be disabled by default for now (that
includes omitting -fobjc-exceptions for now too).

After the release, we can change the default settings to turn it on by
default.

Makes sense ?