Re: Once more cross compilation

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Once more cross compilation
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 20:12:24 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:
What if I compile gnustep-make with HOST=x86, TARGET=arm and try to
crosscompile another package with it. Then I should compile the other
package with HOST=arm. Does this conflict with the usage of this variable
in gnustep-make?

(this question is about compiling a crosscompiler using a crosscompiling
gnustep-make)

No it isn't. There was no TARGET involved in the compilation of the other
package. The question is the same if you crosscompile any package (say
GNUMail which has no TARGET) with a crosscompiling gnustep-make.

Then I didn't understand the question - apologies.

If you compile gnustep-make with HOST=local-system and TARGET=xxx, and you
want to use the resulting gnustep-make to compile a package which you want
to run on xxx, you just have to type

make target=xxx

when you compile.

I started following your instruction for crosscompilation and get the same warning messages that hinted to me originally to do it differently:

Typing in:

./configure --prefix=/home/zaurus/gnustep --disable-flattened --host=ix86-linux --target=arm-linux --libdir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Libraries/arm/linux-gnu --includedir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu

Results in:

configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
checking for ix86-linux-gcc... no
checking for gcc... gcc

Doing a 'make' now will result in the standard gcc being used, not the one for ARM. Replacing 'host' with 'build' will remove the warning, but still the normal gcc is found.

When I run the following command instead:

./configure --prefix=/home/zaurus/gnustep --disable-flattened --build=ix86-linux --host=arm-linux --libdir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Libraries/arm/linux-gnu --includedir=/home/zaurus/gnustep/System/Library/Headers/gnu-gnu-gnu

It results in:

checking for arm-linux-gcc... arm-linux-gcc
checking whether we are cross compiling... yes

Which looks a lot better to me. Perhaps you want to reproduce these steps, than I could send you the crosscompiler to arm-linux. It is a bit hard to find a pre-compiled package including Objective-C support.

If you agree, that this is the correct command to compile GNUstep make, what should be done for GNUstep base, gui and back? Just compile them with target set to arm-linux? Or using the same command?

And which makefiles will now need corrections?