Re: Release Aug 28

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Release Aug 28
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 00:00:07 +0200

Nicola Pero wrote:
I'm going to try really hard to make a release by Saturday, Aug 28. That's just for the make and base packages. Alex is in charge now of gui and back, but I think he will make a release soon after.

I would like to get the cross compilation changes into this release. I know that it isn't a great idea to change code shortly before the release, but the changes I suggest are uncritical,

If they are uncritical, there is no reason to make those changes now.

If the change is about looking for which_lib in GNUSTEP_BUILD_DIR, I think
that's not a right change.

One negative vote is enough to delay the change, but could you please elaborate on why you think this change is wrong? I tried to explain in my last mail, why I think the names GNUstep is using for the build and runtime environment are inconsistent with the ones used by autoconf and that at least for the build process we need to stick with the autoconf ones. You seem to disagree on this and I would at least like to understand your point. Searching for which_lib based on the machine type we are building on is something that looks rather natural to me.

To tune down the discussion a bit:
In the last few days I looked at the crosscompile instructions of various software packages. Most of them used --host=XXX-YY to specify the computer, where the application will later be run on. Only libtiff and a few others differ, and at least for this, the INSTALL instructions for cross compilcation did not work for me. If you have differing experiance cross compiling GNUstep and other packages it would be great if you could share them. If you just insists on the current documented way for GNUstep based on the fact that the GNUstep documentation tells to do it that way, it is a bit hard to argue with.