[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Revised GUI patch

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Revised GUI patch
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:33:24 -0600

On Oct 16, 2004, at 10:06 AM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:

Seems OK in principle, but this breaks binary compatibility, so it'll have to wait. I'll get back to you on this (soon, I hope).

My current idea for handling binary incompatibility is to allow them in the mainline, but when making a release based on a stable version (e.g. 1.10.1, 1.10.2), I'll branch the stable release before the incompatible patch (or perhaps in some cases, it might be better to branch after and revert the patch in the branch). It seems complicated, but I think it's easier for developers to just not have to worry about binary incompatible patches and just have the "release manager" worry about them. Does that sound OK?

For example:

CVS Main Branch                 1.10 Branch
______________                  _____________
Base 1.10.0 release
---------------------------------------------> branch
|                                                       |
|                                                       |
\/                                                      \/
[... binary incompatible patch....] [...merge in some later patches on mainline...]
|                                                       |
|                                                       \/
\/                                                      Base 1.10.1 Release
Base 1.11.0 Release

I'm still trying to work out if a change in behavior counts as binary incompatible - perhaps having that 'version discovery' patch in would help that.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]