Re: Next base release

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Next base release
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 10:33:29 +0000

On 7 Mar 2005, at 03:51, Adam Fedor wrote:

I hope to make another gnustep-base release by the end of this month. Due to some big fixes in windows, base is not binary compatible any more with the previous release on windows, but it is, as far as I can tell, compatible on other systems. So my choice is to:

1) Make a release in the 1.10.x series for people who would really want binary compatibility, but warn Window's uses not to use it. And soon after, make a 1.11.x (i.e. change the SO NAME) that is binary incompatible for all users.

2) Just make a 1.11 release

Any comments?

I'm not sure, but I think that I recall seeing a few things in the runloop changes which might break
compatibility on unix ... maybe not, but it's worth checking.

The key-value-coding changes modify behavior slightly.

I'm updating the NSCharacterSet code, and in the process of removing NSBitmapCharSet from the public API (it's not in OpenStep or MacOS-X , it doesn't add to the NSCharacterSet api, and I haven't found it used anywhere external to the base library).

So I think option 2 (a 1.1 release at the end of the month) make sense.