Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Rendering of fixed-width fonts
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:58:51 -0500

On Mar 15, 2005, at 5:53 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Adrian Robert wrote:
First, I can't find any reference to this on the web. Is everyone rendering this font character-by-character manually? Leaving the question of what's happening in Gnome/Gtk aside, if I render in GNUstep using a call to DPSmoveto() followed by DPSshow() for every character, the problem goes away. It looks like this is what Terminal.app does. Surprisingly, on Art this is actually reasonably fast, but on Xlib performance is unacceptable.

Which version of xlib is that slow? The standard one or the one using AA fonts? For the later I still have a patch lying around that should speed it up a lot, but I never had reason to dig in that.

AA. If you send the patch my way I'll test it and fiddle with it if need be.