Re: Frameworks on windows.

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Frameworks on windows.
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:06:10 +0200

Jeremy Bettis wrote:

> I'd like to short-circut this symlink discussion here, it is nice that
> all of you non-Windows developers have found the Junction stuff in the
> microsoft documentation, but that is simply not a real world pratical
> solution.

He, he, :-) this is actually the first month in the past 7 years that
this title fits me!

> Trying to make windows look or act like unix is a hopeless
> task.  It will always be problamatic.  I have been using OPENSTEP for
> windows the first beta came out in 1995, and NeXT never had any problems
> adapting for a non-symlink world.
>
> Unless you personally have tried creating junction (or reparse) points
> on windows hand have experienced success, please let's not go any
> farther down this line of thought.

Actually I don't believe OPENSTEP in 1995 had the option of them at the
time.  But granted I never coded junctions and  I can well imagine that
they cause more harm than good.  Realize that before you delete a real
directory you have to traverse it to break potential junctions before
removing it even if the directory you wish to remove is a real directory
as removing a junction below it will delete the contents of the junction
(or reparse or whatever it's called).

I'll leave it up to those who feel responsible for -make to decide which
route to go wrt to frameworks on windows.

Cheers,