GDL2: record -snapshot / toManyProperties / shallowCopy

From: Manuel Guesdon
Subject: GDL2: record -snapshot / toManyProperties / shallowCopy
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:20:51 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Searching for a bug, I've found that calling -snapshot on a record which have
toMany property fire toMany property value fault (if the value is still a
fault) when the shallowCopy is done (in EOClassDescription -snapshot) on line:
value = AUTORELEASE([value shallowCopy]);

This (can) produce uneeded ((too)many) fetches so I'm thinking about a way to
avoid this.

Do we really need this ?
    I see 2 cases:
            1) If a change is made on the array, during save processing we'll
have to compare old and new values in the array.
            2) If no change is made, we could ahave same fault in snapshot and
in object (it will be probably the most often case).

   For 1), If we put a "Fault copy" in the snapshot, it will be de-faulted
during save processing (so we'll have 2 fetches: one for defaulting value dring
change and one during comparaison). I don't see problem doing the snapshot
de-fault only during comparaison, do you ?
              We could also storing in snopshot a kind of fault which will know
when the orginal fault will be de-faulted (by the way of an observer ?). When
the original fault is de-faulted, it will default iteself, and take original
faut result

Any  think about this ?

Manuel