Re: State of gnustep-back/cairo

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: State of gnustep-back/cairo
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2005 21:04:25 +0100

oliver frommel wrote:

> another question I'd like to ask is about the current state of
> the Cairo backend. Is anyone still working on it actively?
> Is it usable? I could not get it to compile, however I did not
> try very hard.

Good question. I had updated the cairo backend to the latest cairo code
this summer. But I had to use a private cairo function to generate
glyphs for string drawing. The cairo people tell you that they on
purpose don't offer an interface to do this, you should be using native
functions for the font system (freetype fonts in our case) instead.

At that time this worked fine by just exporting the symbol for this
function. In the meantime cairo made some more progress and release 1.0
is out with another interface for this private function. Thats what you
get from using private functions. What we need is somebody willing to
write a bit of code to create glyphs, then the backend would compile.

It still would not be useful, as I never get my head around which side
is up in an image, so cairo GState image drawing is totally wrong. Here
another fix or two should do the trick.