Rumor Mill: Apple Considering Revival of YellowBox (??)

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Rumor Mill: Apple Considering Revival of YellowBox (??)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:11:18 -0800 (PST)

All,

As many of you may have heard, there is a rumor floating around which indicates
that Apple is considering reviving YellowBox, under the codename "Dharma."

We have had an opportunity up until now to port applications from Cocoa to
Windows using GNUstep.   If Apple comes out with YellowBox, that door will be
vitually closed to us as people will naturally go to Apple for that solution.

If we can beat Apple to it and get a viable system going on Windows prior to
Apple's release of Dharma/YellowBox, that could be a major coup for GNUstep.

The need for a more complete environment on Windows

Now that Gorm is working properly under Windows, it's time to start thinking
about bringing some of the other apps over as well.

ProjectCenter
-------------
A significant blocker to getting ProjectCenter working on Windows at the moment
is the fact that it uses frameworks.

I believe that ProjectCenter should use libraries for greater portability,
until it becomes possible for users to build using frameworks on Windows.

Windows Theme
-------------
We need to get a windows theme prepared so that GUI will blend in better with
Windows applications.  Also, we need to make it so that menus are attached to
the windows and not free floating.

One other thing that is needed is another installer which allows the user to
install these applications without needing to compile them.

These are just some thoughts I've been having along these lines...  if anyone
has anything to add, please let me know.

P.S. Has anyone heard any more about this??

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- Principal Consultant, Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.