Fiend icons in window list

From: Roman Belenov
Subject: Fiend icons in window list
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:30:10 +0300

I was slightly annoyed by appearence of GWorkspace's Fiend icons in
Windowmaker's window list (and, consequently, alt-tab switching panel), and
tried to investigate it a bit. The simplest workaround was raising fiend leaf
icons to dock level - that makes backend set their window type to
_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK, which excludes them from window list (and also
raises them other normal windows, which seems right thing to me). It works
fine after starting GWorkspace, but after hiding/restoring Fiend icons they
appear in window list again, though xprop shows that their _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE
is still _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK. I'm calling setLevel immediately after
orderFront. Can somebody with better knowledge of client/wm interaction
clarify the issue ? I'm not exactly sure whether the problem is in Windowmaker
or GNUstep's backend (probably promoting fiend icons to dock status is also
not a good idea, so I'm not insisting on it - I'm mostly interested on
reliable *step way to exclude window from window list ).

--
                                                        With regards, Roman.