Re: Repository change to SVN, Jan 28th

From: David Ayers
Subject: Re: Repository change to SVN, Jan 28th
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:22:20 +0100

Sheldon Gill schrieb:
> David Ayers wrote:
>
>> You mean other than releases?  Well since we have defined repository
>> states through revision numbers, I can't think of any necessity for more
>> tags.  It's not like gnustep is seeing the kind of development activity
>> like, say, GCC.  But maybe you have something specific in mind?
>

> Main releases are obvious. I'm wondering about branch snapshots.

Not sure why you'd want a snapshot of a branch unless your releasing
from branch (as in dedicated release branches with bugfix releases à la
GCC).

>>>   - Are we going to import more vendor trees? (like ffcall, portaudio
>>> etc)
>>

>> I think we should keep anything not FSF assigned in a separate
>> repository so we have clear boundaries from where we can blindly
>> copy-and-paste code.  Other than that I think there should be a
>> dedicated maintainer(s) for any external vendor tree who will keep them
>> up to date.
>

> I'm not sure we need a separate repository. Wouldn't a vendor directory
> tree would make the boundary equally clear?
> Other than that, I'm in agreement with this.

IMO the copyright assignment boundary should be pretty clear especially
if we have all projects at top level as was originally proposed, IIRC.
I'm still in favor of a separate repository, but that's just my opinion.

Cheers,