Graphics context in -gui instead of -back or context-bundles

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Graphics context in -gui instead of -back or context-bundles
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:09:13 +0100

I have read:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/CocoaDrawingGuide/Images/chapter_7_section_5.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003290-CH208-BCICHFGA

As far as I was told few weeks ago, it is not possible to draw directly into a
bitmap in GNUstep. See "Drawing Directly to a Bitmap" section in the referenced
document.

As the bitmap output from AppKit/-gui should be the same in all environments
(Linux, Windows, OS X,...) I think that the bitmap drawing should be done with
one "bitmap drawing backend" for all environments.

Would it be possible to pick one bitmap drawing library and use it in -gui? For
on-screen drawing, environment native drawing library should be used, so -back
will stay as it is.

Or ... what about having bundles for each type/class of NSGraphicsContext? Then
I one would be able to use, for example, art(screen)+art(bitmap) under linux,
GDI(screen)+art(bitmap) under windows and he will get same bitmap results under
both environments.

What do you think about it?

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi