Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: FHS compliance/Abstraction of NSBundle
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 00:09:39 +0200

On 9. Mai 2006, at 23:06 Uhr, Hubert Chan wrote:
One problem with getting general FHS compliance that I can see is that
the FHS doesn't have anything analogous to the Network or user domains.

Well, Network is _roughly_ like /opt and user domains are basically in ~ (~/bin, ~/lib if you wish to have that).

I think the bigger issue is that while it has PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, standard Unix does not provide a "resource lookup path" (in what sequence to scan share directories). Which is why most GNU-like/autoconf-based tools specify their "location" at compile time (--prefix). Which is fine in realworld but certainly not perfect.

BTW: I still think that its unnecessary to force .app wrappers into FHS. FHS should be for low level libraries and tools/daemons. (just like on MacOSX)

Greets,
  Helge
--
http://docs.opengroupware.org/Members/helge/