Re: Test base library stable branch please

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Test base library stable branch please
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 06:40:22 +0000

Thanks for testing David.

On 1 Jan 2007, at 14:27, David Ayers wrote:

FAIL: default format same as Cocoa
FAIL: round up for fractional part >0.5
FAIL: round down for fractional part <0.5
FAIL: numeric and space padding OK
FAIL: prefix and suffix used properly
FAIL: negativeFormat used for -ve number
FAIL: format string of length 1

I guess the NSNumberFormatter fixes should be backported for the next release then? I wasn't sure whether to count those changes as a new feature (since NSNumberFormatter has never worked) or bugfix, but I suppose it should probably be considered bugfix rather than new feature, as the API has been present for a long time, even if not working properly.

FAIL: URL with 'this isn't a URL' returns nil

I must have missed backporting that fix ... should just be a small change.

FAIL: first item is selected by default

FAIL: browser contains all files after resetting delegate

I guess I need to check to see if these are new failures, and if they are related to base in any way.

Cheers,
David

PS: I still believe we should adopt a naming convention for branches
which includes only major and minor version numbers and use subminor
numbers soley for taging releases from the branches.

Me too ... I changed the wiki to say that on the release policy page a week or two ago. However, I want to use 'stable' as the name for the current stable branch ... just for clarity if/when people go looking for it in svn, so what I actually wrote was that the current stable branch should be called 'stable' and renamed to name-major_minor at the point when a new non-bugfix release is made. I think it's important to keep old branches in case someone wants to backport a bugfix to a older release than the current stable release. I haven't changed the naming of the base library only because I had asked people to test base-1_13_0 and wanted to avoid confusion if anyone tried to check it out for testing after I renamed it.

and I'm not sure whether 1.13.1 release will only be tagged or whether
another release branch will also be created.

I'm planning to backport the NSURL and NSNumberFormatter fixes,
rename branches/base-13_1_0 to branches/stable
ask people test
then make a bugfix release tagging base-1_13_1 but not create a new branch.