Re: Playing with Gears

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: Playing with Gears
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:49:15 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard <at> tiptree.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I made some time to play about a bit with your Gars app ... http://
> amstradstuff.free.fr/GNUstep/gnustep-gears-1.0.tar.gz

What did you have to change ?

> This is a really nice demo application, very impressive.

Thanks :-)

Looks like you spend many time to test this toy. Your comments are
very interesting. But they're not what i was expected !

> Some observations on the options provided for animating.
>
> 1. pure timer based animation... the repeat interval set for the
> timer is 0.0 seconds.

I got this idea in a mac game programing forum.
So this mechanism is actually used.

But it works perfectily on my linux box ! With any backing store.
The animation is stopped when i keep a mouse button down.
That's all. That doesnt prevent the runLoop to be run...

--> only 1300 FPS with buffered/retained backing store
--> 2100 FPS with a non retained backing store !! the fastest

> 2. performer based animation

On my system a perfomer based animation works perfectly, but in a
window with a non retained backing store. Even if i keep a mouse
button down.
In a non retained window the animation is as you say : i have to
move the mouse over the window to see the animation.

--> 1600 FPS : faster than timers !!!

> 3. event based animation

On my system this animation routine stops any other task (autodisplay...)
But as the events are post _to_the_end_ of the queue (atStart:NO) other
events are still handled (mouse clicks on menu or button)

--> 1300 FPS with buffered/retained backing store
--> near 2000 FPS with a non retained backing store

> I haven't looked at all at the implementation at the events+performer
> or events+timer options.

Just hacks to make a event based animation running (remember : it doesnt ;-)
In the 1st case, a performer is used every 0.25 sec instead of the event.
The runLoop is then run once. In the second case a timer fires every 0.25
second while an event is not post.
Don't work with a non retained backing store.

Humm... all this is really strange...

Xavier