Re: problems compiling NSAnimation.m

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: problems compiling NSAnimation.m
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 13:35:17 +0200

On May 8, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Riccardo wrote:

Hi,

trying to compile NSAnimation on older compilers is a nightmare (like gcc 2.95). I fixed some trivial stuff, but then stopped: the main problem is the _NSANIMATION_LOCK macro. Since this macro defines a variable in it,

#define _NSANIMATION_LOCK           \
  BOOL __gs_isLocked = NO;          \
  if (_isThreaded)                  \
  {                                 \
    __gs_isLocked = YES;            \
    NSDebugFLLog(@"NSAnimationLock",\
                 @"%@ LOCK %@",self,[NSThread currentThread]);\
    [_isAnimatingLock lock];        \
  }

it causes a hidden "c99-ism" everywhere. If the definition of __gs_isLocked inside the macron can be avoided or the macroitself can be avoided, I think the code would be cleaner.

This looks pretty bad, not only because it doesn't compile with GCC 2.95, but also because that variable defined in the middle of nowhere is very ugly ... unclear scope (what happens if you have two _NSANIMATION_LOCK in sequence ? is the same variable being used or different variables ?) ... ;-)

Is there a flag we can pass to ask GCC to refuse c99-isms ? There must be one. Shall we add this to the core library makefiles ? That way we are more positive that the code should compile with 2.95 because nobody will be able to commit c99-isms without breaking compilation with all versions
of GCC. :-)

Thanks