GCC 4.1 on mingw platform

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: GCC 4.1 on mingw platform
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 13:18:21 +1000

Hi

Those that use mingw know that they have quite an old, but stable, set of compilers (gcc 3.4 series). I've been experimenting with compiling gcc 4.1 for a mingw target and host and have been able to successfully produce binaries. Is there any interest in the GNUstep community for a gcc 4.1 compiler set that runs on mingw and produces mingw binaries?

If anyone's interested, I'd write up some instructions and/or post binaries if I had somewhere to put them. It appears to be possible to compile the c and objc frontends using a normal 2/3 stage bootstrap ("make bootstrap"), and produce c/c++/objc/objc++ frontends by recompilation with a gcc 4.1 set. I'm otherwise using mingw binutils/w32api/mingw-runtime + a couple of gcc patches. I've been using Windows Vista 32bit.

Has anyone else had any experience with gcc 4.1 on windows, particularly with GNUstep? It would be interesting to hear about other people's experience with this as well. Do people prefer cross-compilation (e.g. produce a gcc cross-compiler for mingw target on a linux host)? I hope this is not too off-topic for this list.

Regards
Chris