Re: GNUstep on DirectFB

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUstep on DirectFB
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 22:36:25 +0100

Hi Christopher,

On 2008-12-07 00:52:06 +0100 "Lisbon Acid" <address@hidden> wrote:

Not sure if this has been implemented before or not, I know it has been talked about, but over the past three days I've thrown together a hacked up backend for GNUstep running through DirectFB. It is definitely not perfect or usable at this point, but with just a little bit more effort this will be solid. Just wanted to announce that on here in case anyone was interested.

I consider this very interesting, it might prove important on devices where running X is an additional burden, likke embedded devices. I imagine Nikolaus might prove interestd for OpenMoko or the Zaurus, where the X11 is run as an additional appliation and not native.

Here are a few screenshots. Obviously there are rendering issues. The one seen here is the color issue. There's another where it seems the image data is being rendered a pixel or two skinnier than the window, thus cacading the
interface to the left one pixel on every line... soon to be fixed.

The shift you are seeing is very similar to the problem the cairo backend has when exporting X11 display from a big-endian machine to a little-endian one.

Riccardo